Windsor had two unusual government facilities: a Farm Securities Administration migrant labor camp from 1938 to 1940 and a Prisoner of War Camp during WWII.
The migrant labor camp was the last in a string of camps built during the Roosevelt administration in an attempt to ease the struggles of the migrant labor force that increased dramatically during the Great Depression. The camp was a state of the art facility for the time and included tent cabins for families, hot showers, laundry facilities, onsite managers building, classes for children and adults and recreational opportunities. The camp included a baseball diamond, horseshoe pits and swing sets and featured a building that included a stage for music or theatrical productions of the campers. The camp was controversial during its existence and opposed by many farmers and ranchers that feared it would become a magnet for labor agitators and union activity, however there is no indication that this occurred at the Windsor camp. The camp closed in mid 1940 but remained in government ownership and later reopened as Camp Windsor for POWs.